Tuesday, November 4, 2008

America's First Black President-Elect

Tonight I felt American.
Tonight I saw two bitter opponents, praise each other, sincerely.
I saw Americans of all walks of life stand to their feet and cheer for two honorable American men, whether they voted for them or not.
I saw strength in disappointment and humility in victory.
Tonight it didn't matter who I voted for, just as long as I did.

"As Lincoln said to a nation much more divide than ours. 'We are not enemies, but friends...'"

"Whatever our difference we are fellow Americans, and please believe me when I say that no association has ever meant more to me than that."

Tonight I saw Rev. Jesse Jackson weep.

Even though not one of the people I voted for, on any level, won in the election, tonight I felt proud to be an American. I felt a stirring of pride in my heart.

God bless America.

P.S. Tonight I saw a possum on my porch.=)

5 comments:

Jess said...

Beautifully put Summer.

Lisa said...

Really well said Summer.

MadMadameMim said...

I love that speech, it is one worth remembering.

Jill said...

Summer, that was really nice. It's nice to be an American, with so much other turmoil going on around the world. We are truly blessed to be here.

Rikki said...

I totally agree.

Huber Look-alike Meter

Huber Look-alike Meter